Wednesday, June 3, 2020

De Lima Thumbs Down House Proposal For 2-Year Work Probationary Period

MOST READ

Opposition Senator Leila M. de Lima has joined her colleagues in Congress and the rest of Filipino workers’ rights activists in rejecting a House proposal extending the probationary period of new employees from six months to two years.

De Lima said the proposed two-year probationary period for workers cannot solve the labor sector’s long-time woes, including contractualization or End of Contract (Endo) labor practice, but instead promote further abusive practices against Filipino workers.

“Pahahabain pa nito lalo ang paghihirap ng mga manggagawa”. It is a fog in which to hide the real issue,” she said in her recent Dispatch from Crame No. 630.

“This is a mindless and heartless proposal, and at the core, anti-workers. Worse, it is antithetical to the long overdue anti-ENDO or security of tenure bill,” she added.

Rep. Jose Singson Jr. recently filed House Bill No. (HB) 4802 extending the six-month probationary period to two years, claiming that the current period is not sufficient for an employer to determine an employee’s fitness for regularization.

Despite receiving objections from several senators and labor agencies and groups, Singson still refused to withdraw the bill as he insisted that HB No. 4802 is a permanent fix to the highly-criticized contractualization practice in the country.

A common yet illegal practice that affects most Filipinos from poor and middle-class families, contractualization saw employment contracts being terminated before the 6th month to avoid giving employees with benefits accorded to regular workers.

De Lima, who chairs the Senate Committee on Social Justice, Welfare and Rural Development, pointed out that HB No. 4802 would openly allow employers to exploit workers’ labor for close to two years before cheating them of regularization and depriving them of their lawful benefits.

“This is worse than 5-5-5. [I]f workers had been made to fall short in finishing their probationary period when it was shorter, how much easier would it be for unscrupulous employers to apply the same trick when the period is longer?” she asked.

“Perhaps those against the anti-ENDO bill and the forces behind this new proposal should be taught, in the words of Dickens, to shake hands every day with common sense and (labor) justice,” she added.

Serving the second half of his one-time, six-year term, Mr. Duterte continued to fail on his electoral promise to end the practice of contractualization because he allegedly has a hard time balancing the demands of the labor sector and businesses.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Sen. Gatchalian Files Bill That Seeks To Establish “New Normal” Education

Gatchalian: “Layunin natin na patatagin ang ating sistema ng edukasyon at siguruhin na sa panahon ng krisis, walang mag-aaral ang maiiwan.”

DOJ Sec. Guevarra: Mass Gathering Restrictions Due To COVID-19 Easing Up

Positive developments on the COVID-19 situation in the country within the month may prompt changes in the government's protocol on mass gatherings, including religious activities, as per Guevarra.

House Passes Anti-Terrorism Bill On 2nd Reading

PRRD has certified the Anti-Terrorism bill as urgent, saying its immediate passage would “address the urgent need to strengthen the law on anti-terrorism..."

Senators Disappointed Over Failure to Provide Compensation to Healthcare Workers

Several senators called out the Department of Health for failing to compensate the health workers who have died while helping Filipinos with COVID-19.

Sen. Gatchalian Bill Authorizing Class Opening Beyond August Gets Senate Nod

The Senate has approved on third and final reading a bill that gives the President the authority to postpone the opening of classes beyond August.

DOH Usec. Vergeire: More ‘Late’ Reports Come In As PH COVID-19 Cases Rise To 18,638

In its case bulletin, the DOH said 433 of the new cases are "late" or results belatedly reported and were only verified recently, while 119 are "fresh cases".

Mayor Vico: Only Essential Travels Are Allowed In Pasig

Narito ang guidelines ng mga Pasig residents ngayong naisapatupad na ang GCQ:

Spox. Roque: Everyone Allowed To Go Out Under MGCQ

Areas that shifted to GCQ from June 1 to 15 are Pangasinan, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Metro Manila, Central Visayas, Zamboanga City, and Davao City, while the rest of the country is under a less strict MGCQ.

Mayor Labella: Cebu City Under GCQ From June 1 To 15

Labella: "Under GCQ, there will be more businesses that will reopen and public transport will resume operations but with reduced operating capacity."