Thursday, July 9, 2020

DOLE Sec. Belo: No More Mandatory Repatriation For OFWs In Iran, Lebanon

MOST READ

The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said overseas Filipinos workers (OFWs) in Iran and Lebanon may no longer be covered by the mandatory repatriation imposed by the government with the downgrading of alert levels in these countries.

“Initially, the level of alert for Iran, Iraq, and Lebanon are the same—[Alert Level] 4. Although it was unofficial, I was informed yesterday that the alert level in Lebanon was put down to level 2 and I understand that there’s no more alert level in Iran,” Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III in a statement.

He added that the ban on fresh deployment of workers stays as the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) will not be processing any application to these countries for the meantime.

Meanwhile, the DOLE chief said the mandatory evacuation for OFWs in Iraq is still in place and a deployment ban is also in effect.

The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) determines the level of alert and issues advisories to Filipinos for their safety and security.

Alert level 4, which orders the mandatory repatriation of Filipino workers in crisis-stricken areas, was raised in Iran and Iraq on Wednesday.

This came after Tehran’s missile launch against two US bases in Iraq as retaliation to Washington’s drone strike which killed top Iranian general Qassem Soleimani in Iraq last week.

DOLE-Information and Publication Service (IPS) Director Rolly Francia said the alert level is not tied up with the deployment ban.

“It (deployment ban) is discretionary on the part of DOLE, POEA especially when the security situations in those countries are very fluid. Mandatory/voluntary repatriation lang ang nakatali sa (Only mandatory/voluntary repatriation is tied up with) alert levels,” Francia said. (PNA)

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Sen. Gatchalian Bats For Business Loan Program To Curb Unemployment

Gatchalian is urging the government to carry out a subsidy program similar to the Paycheck Protection Program of the United States to prevent further lay-offs in the country.

Cayetano Bats For ‘Build Back Better’ Initiatives

CAYETANO: “It is not enough to say we will rebuild our lives, but we need to strive on how we can build back better.”

Usec. Vergeire: No Second Wave Of COVID-19 Cases In PH

Kinlaro ni Usec. Vergeire na wala pa tayo sa second wave sa kabila ng talamak na pagtaas ng COVID-19 cases.

Pres. Duterte To Work From Davao City ‘For Rest Of The Week’

Balik sa "work from home" setup ang Presidente para sa buong linggo, ayon sa Malacañang.

Guv. Yap: Bohol Set To Start P124-M Gov’t Internship Program

Yap successfully linked with DOLE to find alternative programs that will give employment to the people amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Spox. Roque: Non-Essential Travel Now Allowed

Traveling across the country and abroad is now allowed, provided that tourists submit the required documents and comply with the guidelines issued by the corresponding gov't agencies.

Sen. Hontiveros To DOH: Set Public Hospitals’ Bed Capacity For The COVID-19 Cases Surge

HONTIVEROS: "Huwag na nating hintayin na ma-overwhelm ang mga hospital dito sa Metro Manila at sa ibang lugar na maraming kaso ng COVID-19."

Mayor Isko: 3 Manila Key Officials Positive For COVID-19

One of the saddest moments of Manila City: Mayor Isko on Monday announced that 3 ranking officials have tested positive for COVID-19.

Sen. Gatchalian To ERC: Penalize Distribution Utilities That Will Fail To Comply With Power Advisory

GATCHALIAN: “What action or steps have you taken to penalize those who don’t follow your advisories and to help our consumers get refunds?”

Rep. Salceda: House Prepared To Boost Testing, Tracing For COVID-19

SALCEDA: "“So we’re doing so-so, and can do better. We are prepared to take up proposals from the Executive to help us improve these numbers.”