Duterte To Leave ‘Letters Of Dismissal’ Before China Trip

President Rodrigo Duterte said he would be sacking “many” officials before he leaves for China to attend the 2nd Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation on April 25.

“I’m leaving for China, and before that I will leave so many letters of dismissal,” Duterte said in a speech during the opening ceremony of the 7th Union Asia Pacific Regional Conference in Pasay City on Tuesday (April 23) night.

Duterte is scheduled to leave for Beijing on Wednesday afternoon.

The President, who has repeatedly vowed to fire government officials and personnel involved in even a “whiff of corruption”, did not identify who he will be dismissing from office.

He said that sometimes, just warning officials against engaging in corrupt practices was not enough.

“Corruption is really — seeps down on the core. You have to have something more than just a warning,” Duterte said.

“I’m the only President who — ako lang ang Presidenteng nangbubugbog ng tao. Tanungin mo ‘yang mga guwardiya diyan (I’m the only President who beats people up. Ask the guards there),” he added.

Last week, Duterte threatened to replace officials of the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) for failing to address the water shortage in Metro Manila.

“Why do you have to cause problem for the people when there are things that you can do at once?” Duterte said in a speech during the PDP-Laban campaign rally in Tuguegarao City, Cagayan on April 16.

“I will not hesitate to replace you all,” he added.

Duterte earlier gave MWSS and water concessionaires until April 10 to submit a report detailing measures to address the water shortage and keep the supply steady.

On April 22, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo confirmed that Malacañang has already received the report.

MWSS Chairman Franklin J. Demonteverde on Wednesday announced that the MWSS board has slapped Manila Water Company, Inc. with a total of PHP1.134 billion worth of fines in connection with the water shortage suffered by its customers last March.

Of the total, PHP534 million is the penalty itself while PHP600 million will be used to fund development of new water supply source.

In a statement, Manila Water President Ferdinand M. dela Cruz said he will abide by the MWSS decision to pay the penalty, as provided for under Section 10.4 of the Concession Agreement for the inability of the concessionaires to meet its service obligations to provide 24/7 water supply to its consumers. (PNA)

more recommended stories