Mayor Magalong Calls Residents 65 And Older To Stay At Home

MOST READ

The city government has ordered residents aged 65 years old and above to stay at home for a period of 10 days from Nov. 17 to 27.

“Our recent Covid-19 (coronavirus disease 2019) case data has shown that among our active cases since Nov. 1, 2020 — 44 cases — are over the age of 65. This has become a pressing concern as persons in this age group are most at risk of the effects of Covid-19 and a higher degree of medical attention is required for their care and recovery,” said City Mayor Benjamin Magalong in Executive Order 170-2020 issued on Monday (Nov. 16)

Magalong said that since the onset of modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) in Baguio, movement restrictions within the city for senior citizens have been particularly lenient as they are allowed to go out for leisure and non-essential purposes.

He said the city government respects and recognizes the need and desire of senior citizens to leave the confines of their homes but the statistics of Covid-19 cases raise concern for the welfare of the elderly.

“Considering the due care and concern that is afforded to our senior citizens, there is a need for a temporary strict implementation of stay-at-home restrictions for this particular age group,” the order said.

Senior citizens can be allowed to go out only for purposes of work, to seek medical attention, or when they have no non-high-risk relatives or acquaintances to assist them in acquiring necessary goods or access basic services.

“Non-work related social gatherings and activities for persons over the age of 65 are likewise suspended during the period,” it said.

It also ordered the Office of Senior Citizens Affairs to be closed for activities and physical walk-in transactions. A skeletal force is however ordered to report to address immediate concerns and queries.

Baguio has recorded 47 new cases on Nov. 15 with eight of them 60 years old and above.

The city has a total of 2,750 cases with 2,143 recoveries. (PNA)

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Roque Says He Has No Control Over Crowd In Cebu

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said he had no control over a mass gathering in Cebu where he delivered a speech, saying it was the local government that organized the event held on Nov. 27.

Gordon Thanks SoKor For P10-M Aid For Typhoon Victims

Philippine Red Cross chairman and CEO Senator Richard Gordon thanks the South Korea government for donating nearly PHP10-million as humanitarian assistance for families and communities affected by Super Typhoon Rolly and Typhoon Ulysses.

Año Opposes Holding Of Face-To-Face Classes

Department of the Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año opposes proposals to resume the holding of face-to-face classes in schools at this time, saying it might cause a spike in COVID-19 cases.

Duterte Enjoins Pinoys To Draw Inspiration From Bonifacio’s Heroism

President Rodrigo Duterte joins the nation in commemorating the 157th birth anniversary of Andres Bonifacio, urging Filipinos to draw inspiration from the heroism of the supreme leader (Supremo) of the Katipunan amid the prevailing COVID-19 health crisis.

Roque Defends Duterte’s Sexist Jokes: ‘Let’s Take A Joke For What It Is’

ROQUE: "Let's not give too much meaning to the jokes of the president. The president is really just like that, and he can't change anymore because he's already in his 70s."

Roque Congratulates Tricia Robredo: ‘Sa Panahon Ng Pandemya, Talagang Kayo Po Ang Mga Bagong Bayani’

Roque previously accused Tricia and Aika Robredo of triggering the #NasaanAngPangulo trend during the Typhoon Ulysses.

House Welcomes Passage Of 2021 Nat’l Budget In Senate

Speaker Lord Allan Velasco welcomes the timely passage of the proposed PHP4.506-trillion national budget for 2021 in the Senate.

Galvez: Gov’t, Private Sector To Ink Deal For 2-M AstraZeneca Vaccines

National Policy against COVID-19 chief implementer and vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. announces the government and the private sectors are set to sign a tripartite agreement for two million doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine.

Gatchalian To Raise Issues On Erroneous Learning Materials In Senate hearing

Senator Win Gatchalian, to raise the errors in the DepEd modules on the next Senate hearing.

Bello: DOLE Orders Release Of Deferred Holiday Pay For Private Workers

The Department of Labor and Employment orders private companies to release the deferred holiday pay of their workers before the end of the year.