Wednesday, August 17, 2022

QC, NHA to Relocate Residents Living in Danger Zones

MOST READ

How do you feel about this story?

Like
Love
Haha
Wow
Sad
Angry

The Quezon City Government and National Housing Authority will relocate families residing near the hazard-prone areas to prevent loss of lives during typhoons and natural calamities. 

“The city will assist the NHA fulfill its mandate to relocate those living along danger zones. So no more lives will be lost as the weather becomes more adverse as a result of climate change,” said Maria Bianca Perez, Quezon City Disaster and Risk Reduction Office Research and Planning chief.

As of December 2021, there are 22, 688 informal settler families in danger zones according to the QCDRRMO. 

Perez also said that key infrastructure projects to mitigate flooding will be done, along with the site visit of QCDRRMO and other city departments. 

Earlier this week, 2 female bodies were found and believed to have drowned due to the flash flood. 

According to Talipapa Police Station 3, the first victim was found in the riverside of Mindanao Avenue near Pasong Tamo Bridge III, and after Three hours, the second victim was found in the riverside of Lorraine Street of Barangay Apolonio Samson.

Meanwhile, Senator Ramon Revilla Jr. has filed a resolution on existing flood control projects in Metro Manila and other flood-prone areas. 

“The dilemma of flooding is not new to the plight of many Filipinos. However, the problem seems to have gotten worse over the years, especially with climate change which evidently affected natural calamities. Each passing year we witness more roads getting flooded, and more people getting endangered,” Revilla said in a statement. 

Revilla said that the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) must update the Senate on their plans to mitigate the flooding. 

- Advertisement -spot_img
- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest News