Monday, June 1, 2020

De Lima Asks Gov’t To Reconsider Aborted Transfer Of Bilibid To Nueva Ecija

MOST READ

The government may opt to reconsider its decision to abandon the construction of state-of-the-art prison facility inside the Fort Magsaysay Military Reservation in Nueva Ecija to address the age-old jail congestion in the country, Senator Leila M. de Lima said.

De Lima, a former justice secretary, reiterated her call as she insisted that the continuing severe jail congestion is the root cause of the many ills besetting the New Bilibid Prison (NBP), including prison-based criminality, corruption, disease and deaths.

“Instead of a retrogressive and knee-jerk mindset of re-asserting the outdated retributive system, it would be well for our policymakers to seriously and urgently provide the needed wherewithal to fully effectuate the noble aims of restorative justice,” she said in her recent Dispatch from Crame No. 617.

“Prison reforms, medium-term and long-term, and not just stop gap measures like appointment of new officials and relieve or reshuffling of personnel and prison guards, ought to be a top priority, in terms of focus and budgetary allocations,” she added.

The country is plagued with the jail problems that placed the inmates’ health and lives in danger and led to more crimes involving Persons Deprived of Liberty (PDLs) and their enablers, including the abuse of the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) Law.

The Aquino administration initiated the plan to transfer the NBP and the Correctional Institution for Women to the Fort Magsaysay Military Reservation in Gen. Tinio, Nueva Ecija and create a state-of-the-art facility there through the Public-Private Partnership under the Build-Transfer-Maintain scheme.

“The private partner would finance, detail-design, construct and procure security equipment and turn-over to the BuCor (Bureau of Correction) the facility after the three (3)-year construction period but continuing to maintain its structural and technical facets for the next 20 years,” De Lima recalled.

“The government, through the DOJ and BuCor, on the other hand, would maintain the operational custodial and reformation services of the institution. BuCor could focus on its core tasks – the safekeeping and rehabilitation of inmates,” she added.

At the time of the exit of the Aquino Administration in June 2016, the milestone project had already reached the pre-qualification stage whereby three (3) major bidders have already pre-qualified. While initially open to the project, the Duterte government, however, has aborted the planned jail construction project. Former Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II reasoned out that the plan was aborted because “the cost and transfer of the building is too high” and “not practical.”

When the project to transfer the site was hatched, De Lima said the Aquino administration envisioned the classification and segregation of inmates based on properly assessed needs and risks, thereby separating heinous crime convicts from the rest of the inmates and restricting them inside tightly-secured special facilities.

“But all these remain a dream, so elusive, creating mounting deep and complex problems,” she lamented.

Yet, following the GCTA and other BuCor anomalies, De Lima said she is “glad that the hearts and minds of our lawmakers are now being opened to the stark reality that, on account of decades-old neglect and apathy, our correctional institutions have not lived up, in palpably upsetting degree, to the concept of rehabilitation.”

To introduce comprehensive reforms in the country’s prison and correctional systems, De Lima filed Senate Bill (SB) Nos. 180 and 181, to be known as “Prison Reform Act of 2019,” and the “Unified Corrections and Jail Management System Act of 2019,” respectively, this 18th Congress.

SB No. 180 seeks to institutionalize prison reform and restorative justice in the country’s correctional system to ensure the effective rehabilitation and reintegration of inmates while SB No. 181 seeks to unify corrections and management system by centralizing the management of all prisons and jails under a single government authority.

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Mayor Labella: Cebu City Under GCQ From June 1 To 15

Labella: "Under GCQ, there will be more businesses that will reopen and public transport will resume operations but with reduced operating capacity."

Pres. Duterte Thanks Bahrain For Granting Pardon To 16 Pinoys

PRRD expresses gratitude to His Majesty King Hamad Bin Isa Al Khalifa for granting royal pardon to 16 Filipinos in the Kingdom of Bahrain, including two who were pardoned on Eid’l Fitr.

Sen. Hontiveros To OWWA: Address Food, Health Needs Of OFWs Awaiting Flight To Hometowns

Hontiveros: "Huwag naman sana hayaan ng pamahalaan na pagkatapos ng kalbaryo sa mandatory quarantine, ay maharap pa sa gutom, pagod at buong araw na pila ang mga OFW para lang makauwi sila sa kanilang mga pamilya."

Spox Roque: DepEd Ready For School Opening In August

Malacañang has expressed confidence that the Department of Education (DepEd) is ready for the scheduled opening of classes on August 24 despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

Sen. Gatchalian: CBMS Law To Correct Inefficiencies In SAP Distribution

Gatchalian urges the government to use the Community-Based Monitoring System (CBMS) Act to ensure efficient distribution of the Social Amelioration Program (SAP).

Gov. Defensor Jr.: Iloilo Is Now Preparing For MGCQ

Iloilo Province is already adjusting quarantine guidelines as its general community quarantine (GCQ) will end on May 31.

Mayor Joy To Strictly Implement Order On Wearing Of Face Masks In Public Places

Belmonte: “Dahil face mask ang isa sa pangunahing depensa laban sa COVID-19, paiigtingin natin ang kampanya upang masanay ang lahat na magsuot nito sa mga pampublikong lugar.”

Pres. Duterte Eases Community Quarantine Status

PRRD has placed the rest of the country under modified general community quarantine effective June 1.

Albay Rep. Salceda Proposes 35-Hour Work Scheme

Sang-ayon ka bang bawasan ang work hours?

Pres. Duterte, Vietnam PM Commit To Stronger Ties, Stable Rice Supply

In a telephone conversation requested by the PM, both leaders underscored the importance of maintaining adequate supply of staple food and critical medical equipment to successfully combat the COVID-19 pandemic.