Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Palace: Al-Baghdadi’s Death Does Not Mean Extinction Of ISIS

MOST READ

Malacañang said the death of Islamic State (IS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi was “good news” for countries terrorized by the group but noted that the government should not let its guard down.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said that despite the IS leader’s death, the terrorist group still has members around the globe that could wreak havoc at any moment.

“That’s good news for countries that have been terrorized by the ISIS. But then again the leader of one group does not mean the extinction of that band of terrorists and we know that for a fact,” Panelo said in a Palace briefing on Monday.

Panelo acknowledged the possibility that al-Baghdadi’s death could discourage the terrorist group members from committing more atrocities.

However, he assured the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) would be on high alert to foil possible attempts by terrorist groups attempting to ride on al-Baghdadi’s death.

“It may also cause discouragement on the part of the terrorist groups. But as far as we’re concerned, whether the leader dies or not, we will secure that part of our country from them,” Panelo said.

Asked if al-Baghdadi’s death would have an impact on the recruitment of IS members in Mindanao, Panelo said: “Hindi ko mabasa yung magiging response ng mga nire-recruit nila (I cannot surmise what the response of those being recruited will be) if it will affect them or not.”

Mindanao has been under martial law since May 23, 2017, the same day Islamic State-linked Maute terror group laid siege to Marawi City in Lanao de Sur province.

Like Panelo, AFP spokesperson, Marine Brig. Gen. Edgard Arevalo said the IS leader’s death will not necessarily mean the demise of the terrorist organizations.

“His death will definitely impact on local terrorist groups but not to the point of its demise,” Arevalo said.

On Sunday (US time), US President Donald Trump announced that al-Baghdadi had been killed in a US military operation in northwest Syria.

Trump said US Special Operations Forces conducted a raid Saturday night targeting al-Baghdadi, during which he killed himself by igniting a suicide vest. (PNA)

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Latest News

Sen. Gatchalian Files Bill That Seeks To Establish “New Normal” Education

Gatchalian: “Layunin natin na patatagin ang ating sistema ng edukasyon at siguruhin na sa panahon ng krisis, walang mag-aaral ang maiiwan.”

DOJ Sec. Guevarra: Mass Gathering Restrictions Due To COVID-19 Easing Up

Positive developments on the COVID-19 situation in the country within the month may prompt changes in the government's protocol on mass gatherings, including religious activities, as per Guevarra.

House Passes Anti-Terrorism Bill On 2nd Reading

PRRD has certified the Anti-Terrorism bill as urgent, saying its immediate passage would “address the urgent need to strengthen the law on anti-terrorism..."

Senators Disappointed Over Failure to Provide Compensation to Healthcare Workers

Several senators called out the Department of Health for failing to compensate the health workers who have died while helping Filipinos with COVID-19.

Sen. Gatchalian Bill Authorizing Class Opening Beyond August Gets Senate Nod

The Senate has approved on third and final reading a bill that gives the President the authority to postpone the opening of classes beyond August.

DOH Usec. Vergeire: More ‘Late’ Reports Come In As PH COVID-19 Cases Rise To 18,638

In its case bulletin, the DOH said 433 of the new cases are "late" or results belatedly reported and were only verified recently, while 119 are "fresh cases".

Mayor Vico: Only Essential Travels Are Allowed In Pasig

Narito ang guidelines ng mga Pasig residents ngayong naisapatupad na ang GCQ:

Spox. Roque: Everyone Allowed To Go Out Under MGCQ

Areas that shifted to GCQ from June 1 to 15 are Pangasinan, Cagayan Valley, Central Luzon, Calabarzon, Metro Manila, Central Visayas, Zamboanga City, and Davao City, while the rest of the country is under a less strict MGCQ.

Mayor Labella: Cebu City Under GCQ From June 1 To 15

Labella: "Under GCQ, there will be more businesses that will reopen and public transport will resume operations but with reduced operating capacity."